Friday, January 23, 2009

A word from my Daddy...

My Daddy is the pastor at FBC Osceola. Shout out to all of the FBC members that read my blog! I love my Dad's church...they have shown my parents such love and support from day one. Each week, their church puts out a mailing called FBC Highlights. Daddy always writes something to his members in this mail out, it's called "The Pastor's Heart". I asked to be put on the mailing list, because I love seeing what's going on in my parents church. I served in ministry with my parents for MANY years and receiving FBC Highlights keeps me up-to-date on what's going on with them and their church. It also gives a prayer list and allows me to pray for them and their people specifically. I always enjoy reading what's on my Daddy's heart for himself and his congregation. This week, it just happened to be something that I needed as well. I definitely feel like it's worth sharing.

"What did you put on this morning?"

This week, my attention was grabbed by this passage I know by heart - but because it was a different version - something about it jumped out at me. You know those moments when you read something you've read a million times and you think, "I've never noticed that before!"

The passage I'm referring to is Colossians 3, verse 12: "Since God chose you to be the holy people whom He loves, you must clothe yourself with tenderhearted mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience." It continues in 13-25, with more virtues, but it made me stop and really think. What did I put on this morning? What have I been wearing this week, or this month, or the past year?

This is another one of those imperative passages - a command - which means, I have a choice, to obey or disobey.

How does one "clothe" oneself in mercy, or kindness, or any of these wonderful virtues? Can I, after showering and shaving, go to my closet and simply put them on? You may be saying - Bro Jay has lost it now!

You have figured it out. We must clothe our inner selves, that part no one can see - our hearts and minds by saturating them in the Word of God and choosing to be obedient; by being filled with the Holy Spirit and allowing Him to change us from within. It can only happen as we spend time alone with our Lord and Father studying to show ourselves approved and allowing Him to integrate His Word through and through.

What did you put on this morning? Since God chose you (and me) to be the holy people whom He loves, we MUST clothe ourselves with mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience - just for a start...go to Colossians 3:12-25 for the entire list.

-Bro Jay


Of all days, I needed this, today. Thanks, Daddy.

Love,
Jill

9 comments:

Nitzia said...

Oh! how powerful is God's word... i love what you daddy shared... it's so truth and we all need to remember this Bible verse and apply it every day! i miss your mom so much she as isnpiring as your daddy.... thanks for sharing.

Joannah said...

Beautiful! You've got a wise daddy, Jill.

MiMi said...

Jill,

What great insight your Dad has into a familiar verse. I pray that God will clean out everything old out of my "closet" and give me a brand new "wardrobe" of mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience.

Thank you for sharing this challenge. I needed to hear these words today, too!

Shannon said...

What a great post, Jill and Bro Jay! :)

Glitter & Bliss said...

What a wonderful daddy you have. You are so lucky to have him and his many blessings he sends your way. His message was so true.... Hugs to you, and I hope you are feeling better. Have a great weekend.

Carissa said...

Man those slaps can be eye opening, huh!? Maybe we should get together and craft away our impatience?

Paula Keller said...

Thanks for your prayers Jill! You've always been so supportive, and I appreciate you.

Anonymous said...

You and me both girl. Thanks for sharing this! ~Katy

becca said...

whole milk, cream, or half and half all work for me :)