Saturday, May 10, 2008

An encouraging post...

I read the following on Andrea's blog, Entrusted. After reading it I just wanted to say, "AMEN"! :) Mother's Day has been a day that I dread for so many years in the past. I've been wondering how I'm going to fake my way through it this year...especially since we're still waiting on the news of whether this worked or not, so this Mother's Day will be the first that I don't go to the bathroom and cry and if I want to run, I know exactly where to go. :)

Infertile women worldwide are currently hovering in dread of the weekend. This Sunday is the Day That Shall Not Be Named. When all the moms in church are asked to stand and be honored, I will be tethered to my seat by the short cord that feeds electricity to the neon sign on my forehead flashing, "Not a Mom! Not a Mom!" Or at least that's what it feels like. Every year as the second Sunday of May approaches, I start to imagine scenarios that would excuse me from church for just that one day - sickness, vacation, or at least a sudden need for a bathroom break conveniently sandwiched between singing and the sermon. A long bathroom break. On the other side of the building.

But ladies, we have a better escape route than running away from the Day That Shall Not Be Named. Can I paraphrase 1 Corinthians 10:13 for us? No temptation to self-pity, envy, or anxiety has overtaken you that is not common to women (yes, even the fertile ones). God is faithful, and he will not let the second Sunday in May tempt you beyond your ability, but on the Day That Shall Not Be Named he will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure even a holiday that puts the spotlight on your heartache and yearning by celebrating the women who have what you don't. That way of escape looks different for each of us, but I can tell you this: I'm going to run to Jesus, and not to the ladies' room.

5 comments:

bb said...

I hope you have a terrific Sunday.... even though it's just another day. I'm planning to sleep in - or at least go back to sleep after the 7 am shots!

Enjoy!!!

sara said...

I'm hoping that by this time next year, you'll have all the reason in the world to stand up with the rest of them! How are you feeling?

Kristen said...

Hey! I just had a chance to read your blog and I had no idea you are struggling with infertility. I TOTALLY understand. I don't know if you have ever read our IVF story, but it was last summer and I blogged everyday about it. It is not fun! Mother's Day is the worst! I will be praying for your family during this very trying time. Did you put 1 or 2 in? I hope this works for you. Yes, I just started selling them to friends and stuff. I don't have a website or anything yet.
You can email me at kmcooper129 at hotmail dot com and I can make anything you want.
wish you the best!!

andrea_jennine said...

Glad I could encourage! Still praying that you get good news soon...

Mazzy said...

This is a great post, thank you so much for it.
*hugs*