Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Apple Pie...

My M-I-L had surgery last week, so our church has been taking her meals while she recovers. She is doing well...just needs to take it easy, so she can heal. Linda, if you're reading this...no meetings for the rest of the week, stay in bed. Daughter-in-laws orders! Tonight was my night to cook for her, so I took chicken enchiladas, spanish rice, salsa & chips and an apple pie for dessert. I went ahead and made extra for Alex to have for dinner and since apple pie is his favorite, I made him a pie as well. I'm going for daughter-in-law & wife of the year. ;)

Several months back, I bought these little pie crust cutters at Williams Sonoma (love that store!) I've been saving them for fall/thanksgiving and figured there's no better time to use them than for my sweet M-I-L. Take a look at the finished product below...I was so pleased! Now I want to go and see if they have Christmas ones as well!

My Mom started making this pie over a year ago and at first I refused to eat it because #1. it was apple - have never been a fan & #2. she called it Sugar-Free Apple Pie - I don't do sugar-free. After I finally gave in and tasted it, I loved it! This is the only apple pie recipe that I use now. It's called Sugar-Free Apple Pie because the only sugar in the pie are natural sugars from the 100% apple juice and apples themselves. If you choose to make your own pie crust, you can limit the amount of sugar in that as well. I do not make my own, so I guess mine isn't truly 100% natural sugars. Oh well, it's still yummy! :)



Ingredients:
4 Tbsp of corn starch
1 can of frozen apple juice
2 Pillsbury Pie Crust
4 Golden Delicious Apples

Directions:
Slice and peel your apples.
Mix Corn starch and apple juice in a saucepan on medium heat.
Whisk constantly until mixture starts to thicken.
Once it thickens, remove from heat immediately and mix with your apples.
Place apple mixture into bottom crust.
Place top crust on top of apples and prick with fork to allow steam to escape.
Brush with egg wash mixture.
Bake @ 375 degrees for 30-35 mins or until golden brown.





Love these!



Mix these together...

Until it looks like this...


Mix with your apples...


Pour into bottom crust...


Use your WS pie cutters to make the top crust...


This one was for my M-I-L ...it was so pretty! :)



This one was for Alex...not quite as decorated as M-I-L's but he was okay w/that. :)



Enjoy!

Jill

20 comments:

I Believe in Miracles said...

Wow. Those pie cutters are impressive.

Mazzy said...

gorgeous!

SAHW said...

Wow, very pretty! And that looks like a great recipe too!

Anonymous said...

well since you are my princess you can be D-I-L of the life time too:) I am so blest with three great D-I-L's!! The whole meal was sooooo yummy!! You made a great and pretty pie:) I like pretty food too:) tks so much and I am in the house getting well:) love, hugs and kisses

Jim and April said...

oh that SO makes me want to bake a pie...I have never baked one..it scares me...do you have a good recipe for crust and filling?

Polly Gamwich said...

I am not a big fan of cooking, recipes, or apples for that matter ... but your pies looked BEAUTIFUL! Especially MIL's! Thanks Williams-Sonoma!

Eric and Emily said...

I have Williams Somoma gift card, I might have to look for those cute pie cutter things. What a pretty pie!

Faith said...

Check you out! I hate to even ask this, but you have to peel the apples, huh?

Faith said...

You go girl! I am very impressed with your baking skillz! Chad just walked in and saw the one for you m-i-l and said "I want one of those for my b-day" Great!!!

Hope2morrow said...

You are so dang awesome. Both hubby and MIL are lucky to have you, Jill!

Paula said...

Jill, you have outdone yourself with those pies. The leaves on the top crust is just gorgeious. Almost too pretty to eat.

amy said...

oh my- YUM! and the pie crust cutters- SUPER pretty! I think I need to venture to Williams Sonoma...

Charnè said...

those pie cutters are sure impresseive!! something tells me i wont find them in South Africa :(

Kristen said...

I LOVE the pie crust cutters! :) They are awesome.

It makes it sooo pretty!

Shannon said...

That pie sounds delicious and I love those pie cutters! They turned out so cute!

Alice said...

Ok that is totally amazing girl!! You did a super job and if they taste half as good as they look then they had to knock Alex and your M-I-L's socks off!!!

Nitzia said...

i want a bite of that apple pie!!! so funny that you put that recipe in here because I have looking for a easy apple pie recipe and this one looks so good and simple to make.... I guess apple pie has been one of my cravings this time of the year! thanks for sharing:)

Paula Keller said...

So pretty!

I have my mother in law's recipe for a crumb topping apple pie that is just easy peasy! Now if you could just skip that peeling, coring, and slicing apples part! And yes, I do have one of those cool core/cutter tools. I'm THAT lazy!

Happy Fall!

Anonymous said...

hi there., i just dropped into ur blog and saw your recipe and it looks delicious! and it looks healthy too..

thanks,
sparco

beckylbranch said...

Oh that looks so good! You have a very cute blog :)