Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Gobble, Gobble...


We're preparing for Journey Thanksgiving which is tomorrow evening. This is our first big holiday meal as a church, so needless to say...we're excited! I'm making all of the dressing, so come tomorrow morning, my kitchen will smell like Thanksgiving! I'm making my Mom's crockpot dressing (4 crockpots to be exact) and it's SO GOOD. It's easy too, so if you've never made dressing, try this recipe...you won't be disappointed!


Crockpot Dressing
Ingredients:
1 stick butter
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped celery
3 slices of bread
3 biscuits
2 tsp. sage
1 can chicken broth
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 (9 inch) pan of cornbread
1 sleeve saltine crackers
4 cups chicken broth (from your cooked chicken)
4 eggs, beaten
1/2 tsp. baking powder
3-4 cups cooked chicken

Directions:
Saute celery & onion in butter.
Crumble breads (bread, biscuits, crackers, cornbread) & mix together.
Pour celery & onion mixture over breads.
Add sage, salt & pepper.
Beat eggs with chicken broth - add to bread mixture.
Add baking powder & remaining broth.
Add chicken and lightly ladle mixture into crockpot (spray crockpot w/Pam)
Cook 1 hour on high and then 4-6 hours on low. DO NOT STIR.
Don't be alarmed that it seems 'runny' when you first put it into the crockpot, it will set up nicely and all of the liquid is what keeps it nice and moist.
*If by chance, you don't have enough chicken broth from your cooked chicken - just substitute canned chicken broth*

I know it sounds like a LONG recipe but I cook my chicken, cornbread, biscuits and chop onion and celery the night before, so really all you have to do is mix everything together and put it into the crockpot the next morning. It's nice because you just put it in and let it cook all day!

Looking forward to my first of three Thanksgiving meals, tomorrow night! :)

Love to all,
Jill




15 comments:

bb said...

Can you believe it's already time for the holidays? Time just flies by. Have fun tomorrow night and enjoy all the yummy food!

Monte and Missy said...

Sounds yummy! I'm sooo looking forward to the Thanksgiving meals. I was trying to think of what to make for our church fellowship meal on Sunday - I might just have to try your dressing! Thanks for sharing it.
Oh, and yes I would agree that the place we meet for the Weaver Christmas is indeed too small!

Faith said...

Girlfriend, you are busy busy busy! How sweet of you to fix that for everyone. I hope that the Thanksgiving meal at church goes well!!

Eric and Emily said...

That recipe sounds really good! I am going to put that in my recipe box. : )

Jim and April said...

sounds yummy! I was watching rachel ray today and they had on food network people answering ALL thanksgiving questions...i learned a lot! It was pretty cool!

Shannon said...

That looks delicious!!! I love stuffing!

amy said...

I love stuffing. I'm going to save this recipe for the next time I need to make some....probably next year since we are at the in-laws this year for Thanksgiving.
Love your Christmas blog template.

Rhonda Rae said...

sounds yummy (like everything you make) I can not wait to try it tonight.

Cheryl said...

Love the Turkey picture! Too cute!

Faith said...

I was just coming to tell you thanks for the compliments on the new blog look and I see yours is all cute and Christmasy too! I love it!!!

Hope the Thanksgiving dinner went well!

Eric and Emily said...

I started a brand new blog with a new blogger address...with my husband's work I decided to get rid of our last name in our blogger address.

Rene said...

I've done my fair share of "wooo-ing" too! I loved that episode- it was just too hilarious. I'm so glad I know someone who understands now. If you don't watch it you just don't get it :)

Ps. stuffing looks awesome. That's what I've been assigned for Thanksgiving dinner. I love sausage in my stuffing.

Rene said...

I meant to say, I love sausage in my stuffing but I might try this chicken this time, it sounds delicious.

Paula said...

I LOVE your Christmas blogover. That header is perfect. So true. Yes, Jesus is the reason for the season. Nothing else matters.
great stuffing recipe too :)

Faith said...

What an interesting recipe -- can't wait to hear how the big Journey meal turned out!